Sealing Brick Surfaces With SingleSeal Freeze Protect™
Maintain Your Brick & Mortar With Our Easy-To-Use Sealing Product
When people think of brick, they imagine a surface that's about as hard and solid as they come. Look closer, however, and you'll see that brick is actually filled with openings and pores that make it highly absorbent to moisture.
How Moisture Damages Brick
During wet conditions, moisture easily seeps into the pores and openings present in grout and brick, saturating the material. Along with this moisture comes minerals, soil, and other deposits. As this happens:
- A white, flaky mineral salt known as efflorescence is left behind on the brick surfaces
- Conditions are created which are ideal for the growth of mold, algae, lichen, and other undesirable organisms.
- As water inside brick material freezes, it expands, causing the brick to crack, or chip away as the expanding water "pops" off the surface layer of brick.
Issues With Unsealed Brick Surfaces
Chipped Surfaces: Frozen water expands under brick surfaces, causing chipping.
Efflorescence: Water evaporates and leaves behind efflorescence.
Algae & Stains: Water leaves dirt and other deposits that stain and grow algae, and mold.
Mortar Erosion: Water will also erode the mortar holding your brick together.
SingleSeal Freeze Protect provides a safe, long-lasting, and easy way for homeowners and contractors alike to protect their brick surfaces with a sealer that will not chip, flake off, or discolor. Instead, SingleSeal Freeze Protect™ penetrates deep into the pores of the brick surface, creating a glass like barrier in each pore that allows the surface to breathe while the deeply penetrated seal resists breakdown or discoloration from the sun's rays.
Once applied, SingleSeal Freeze Protect™ will hold back moisture, water, and water vapor that would otherwise pass through the brick and mortar. This prevents stains, and fungal growth, as well as sealing away water vapor that can pass into the home and add to its humidity. Additionally, SingleSeal Freeze Protect™ is a great way to prevent spalling in bricks (chipping and flaking of brick surfaces) by holding out water that can freeze just below the surface, causing it to expand and "pop" off pieces of brick.
Advantages Of SingleSeal Freeze Protect™:
- Effective on existing and new concrete
- Easy to use by both homeowners and contractors
- Dries within 2-4 hours
- Can be applied to damp and/or dry brick surfaces
- May be used in below-freezing temperatures of 28°F and rising
- Inorganic, non-toxic, latex-free design will not support mold growth
- Treated surface may be painted over.
- Prepares brick walls to be finished over with drywall and insulation
- Great for vertical application because of its rapid penetration rate